Wow, I haven’t posted in over a month and a half! It has been a busy November and December, with work, family, and the holidays keeping me busy. Unfortunately, I had less and less time to devote to coding (as made evident by that sad contributions chart on my GitHub page). However, being a teacher has the lovely perk of having a whole week off after Christmas, and this has allowed me to get back into the habit again.
So… what have I been doing?
My last post was about my venture into learning the Laravel framework. My goal was to create a ToDoMVC-like project. The project taught me about concepts of MVC and REST. I completed Task and Category controllers, but got hung up on trying to create a relation between the two models. There are several great resources for Laravel out there, including the free resources on Laracasts, and the docs on laravel.com, but in general, I found the documentation to be incomplete. Objects and methods listed in one resource could not be found on another, which was frustrating. Also, I found the way the documentation was organized to be confusing. And now with Laravel 5 coming out, I think I might put this endeavor on hold. The source of what I did complete can be found on GitHub.
This week also gave me some time to play around with the laptop I use for development. Back in September, I was advised that it would be a big help to learn Linux. I have always been a ‘Windows guy,’ but had dabbled with various distributions of Linux in the past. I decided to go head-on with this undertaking, and purchased an off-lease Dell laptop on eBay. I chose ArchLinux as my distro of choice. I wanted something light-weight for my older laptop, and also wanted to really dig in to the whole Linux world. This experience was invaluable. Though I had to follow several tutorials just to get everything up and running, I can now say that I am comfortable in a Linux environment, and actually prefer it to Windows now. However, being a newbie, I had made several glaring errors in setting up the OS (like not creating a swap partition), which made things very unstable. This week, I reformatted and put on Ubuntu 14.04. After installing a new video driver and tweaking some settings to work better with older hardware, I’m very happy with my new stable setup.
Well, that was a long-winded round-up of what I have been doing for the past month and a half. One my my (many) New Year’s resolutions is to blog more often, so I am hoping this will be the last ‘long update’-type post, as I would rather be writing more specifically about the projects on which I am working.
(featured image from christmasstockimages.com)